Canine Companions Volunteer Chapter Outreach Coordinator - Houston, TX Area
*Please note - volunteer must be located in Houston or surrounding areas in order to be successful in this position.
Chapters are extensions of the regional centers in the communities they serve. As such, they coordinate with and report their activities to regional staff, and their work is supported by an array of resources provided by the organization.
Term: One year (with option to continue)
Time Commitment: Five to ten hours per month, depending on requests
- 75% attendance at leadership board meetings
- Support the activities of the chapter by participating in volunteer activities and attending chapter events.
The outreach coordinator is responsible for proactively researching opportunities and creating a planned approach for opportunities to educate the public about Canine Companions for Independence. Engaging and supporting Chapter volunteers for events is important to the success of this position and these events. Specific responsibilities include:
- Act as the first point of contact with the regional office.
- Receive phone calls and/or emails from the regional office with community outreach requests.
- Follow up with the appropriate regional office representative to confirm receipt of request and check back in with regional representative to assure them that the request is being handled.
- Act as the first point of contact for community outreach requests via the chapter website.
- Receive phone calls and/or emails from interested parties.
- Proactively seek out appropriate community outreach activities to engage the chapter.
- Follow the community outreach criteria approved by the leadership team
- Coordinate requests for community outreach activities.
- Contact the point person from the requesting organization to understand the request.
- Have requesting organization complete the community event/presentation request form.
- Responsible for recruiting volunteers for opportunities at events, booths, speaking engagements, etc.
- Responsible for making sure all volunteers have completed required paperwork.
- Coordinate with chapter communications coordinator to promote the opportunity within the chapter membership.
- Ensure all volunteers have confirmation of the outreach activity with all of the pertinent information. Ensure support materials (brochures, videos, power point decks, donation envelopes etc.) are available.
- Remind volunteers about the event a few days before.
- Follow up with the requesting organization to ensure the presentation went well. Send a thank you note to the requesting organization.
- Coordinate the event.
- Assemble booth materials needed (table covers, brochures, signage, handouts, etc.)
- Attend community awareness activities on behalf of the chapter of Canine Companions for Independence as needed.
- Track all engagements and report to regional office.
- Report progress to the chapter leadership on a monthly basis.
- Bi-weekly call with regional office required to discuss staffing of volunteer opportunities.