Job Training and Employment
Science GED Tutor Needed- Help Transform the Lives of Teen Mothers in North Texas.
Volunteer Individual General Education Development (GED) Tutor Role Description
Title: Individual GED Tutor (Science).
Purpose: Engage in a one-on-one tutoring session with teen mom(s), to ensure they pass their Science GED testing.
Reports to: Volunteer/Partner Services Manager.
1. Should be able to lecture teen mom on the Science section with little or no supervision.
2. Provide positive reinforcement and promote healthy, non-violent behaviors.
3. Follow all agency policies and procedures.
4. Maintain values of dignity, empowerment, and respect with all Alley’s House staff, volunteers, and clients.
5. Daily reports to the Volunteer / Partner Services Manager on schedules and timely progress reports on teen moms.
a. Reports to the Lead Tutor at the start and end of shift to review a progress report on teen moms.
6. Lecture teen moms on any section with little or no supervision.
7. Tutor teen moms individually or in small groups to develop numeracy and study skills for the Science GED test.
8. Keep records of attendance, tutorial sessions, and monitoring student progress over time.
9. Participates in relevant training as required.
10. Maintain a clean and orderly environment.
11. Keep moms motivated and focused on studying tasks.
1. Retired teachers preferred.
2. High School Diploma/GED required.
3. Willing to tutor on a consistent basis for a minimum of a month, but open to flexibility.
4. Thorough knowledge of the core areas of Science. Such as:
o Human health & Living systems, Energy & related systems
o Life science
o Physical science
o Earth and space science etc.
5. Impeccable classroom management skills required.
6. Clear and consistent communicator.
7. Must be comfortable working independently.
8. Must keep the Volunteer / Partner Services Manager and Lead Tutor updated on their availability.
Supervision: Consultation will be provided on a regular basis.
Time Commitment: Should be able to commit to a full daily shift of at least 4 hours of tutoring from Tuesday- Friday of scheduled week.