Job Training and Employment
Social Studies GED Tutor Needed- Help Transform the Lives of Teen Mothers in North Texas.
IMPORTANT: Please note that expressing interest on voly.org is not the end of the process, you need to email email@example.com with your contact information and she will guide you through the application and onboarding process for our volunteer program. Thank you.
Volunteer Individual General Education Development (GED) Tutor Role Description
Title: Individual GED Tutor (Social Studies).
Purpose: Engage in a one-on-one tutoring session with teen mom(s), to ensure they pass their Social Studies GED testing.
Reports to: Volunteer/Partner Services Manager.
1. Should be able to lecture teen mom on the Social Studies section with little or no supervision.
2. Provide positive reinforcement and promote healthy, non-violent behaviors.
3. Follow all agency policies and procedures.
4. Maintain values of dignity, empowerment, and respect with all Alley’s House staff, volunteers, and clients.
5. Daily reports to the Volunteer / Partner Services Manager on schedules and timely progress reports on teen moms.
a. Reports to the Lead Tutor at the start and end of shift to review a progress report on teen moms.
6. Lecture teen moms on any section with little or no supervision.
7. Tutor teen moms individually or in small groups to develop numeracy and study skills for the Social Studies GED test.
8. Keep records of attendance, tutorial sessions, and monitoring student progress over time.
9. Participates in relevant training as required.
10. Maintain a clean and orderly environment.
11. Keep moms motivated and focused on studying tasks.
1. Retired teachers preferred.
2. High School Diploma/GED required.
3. Willing to tutor on a consistent basis for a minimum of a month, but open to flexibility.
4. Thorough knowledge of the core areas of Social Studies. Such as:
o US History
o Government etc.
5. Impeccable classroom management skills required.
6. Clear and consistent communicator.
7. Must be comfortable working independently.
8. Must keep the Volunteer / Partner Services Manager and Lead Tutor updated on their availability.
Supervision: Consultation will be provided on a regular basis.
Time Commitment: Should be able to commit to a full daily shift of at least 4 hours of tutoring from Tuesday- Friday of scheduled week.