Support and Inspire Teens with Special Needs in an After-School Program!
Ability Connection is a registered 501(c)3 charitable nonprofit serving children and adults with disabilities for over 65 years throughout Dallas/Ft. Worth, across Texas and beyond. Our mission is to provide a full range of services for people with physical and intellectual disabilities as they strive to achieve their highest level of independence. Our services include community and independent living assistance, adult day habilitation programs, assistive technology learning and various therapies including occupational, physical and speech therapy.
JOB TITLE: After-School Volunteer Assistant
WORK LOCATIONS: Ann Richards Middle School, Thomas Jefferson High School, Thomas J. Rusk Middle School, Kennedy-Curry Middle School, William Atwell Law Academy and Sunset High School. Volunteers may choose to work at one or multiple locations.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: Assist Dallas ISD After-School program by working with Teens with special needs, in planning and implementing extra-curricular opportunities that promotes fun, learning and social inclusion.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
· Assist instructors with group management and bringing fun energy into various lesson plans
· Share your own special skills, talents or activities to teach/lead classes (i.e., cooking, basketball, drama/theater)
· Shift options are Monday and Wednesday, 4-6pm OR Tuesday and Thursday, 4-6pm
· Minimum 24-hour notice of absence is requested.
· All volunteers are required to complete a criminal background check.
· No experience required. All volunteers receive on-the-job training provided by staff.
· Gain hands-on skills and experience in working in an office setting.
· Develop your resume and gain future references.
· Grow confidence within a supportive team setting.
· Build social networks and make new contacts.
· Enjoy the satisfaction of helping others through volunteer work.
· Give back to a cause that inspires and motivates you.