Fight Hunger through Culinary Education
An ideal Culinary Instructor:
· A degree or working toward a degree in the Culinary Arts or at least 2 years experience working in the foodservice industry
· Professional or personal chefs, culinary students, caterers, and foodservice professionals are preferred.
Bilingual and Spanish-speaking instructors highly valued for leading Spanish curricula, but not required.
· Culinary Experience: Degree in Culinary Arts or at least 5 years experience working in food preparation
· Leadership: Experience in leading groups of all ages
· Oral Communication: Ability to speak and explain clearly, concisely, and in a friendly manner
The Culinary Instructor's job is to follow the goals and objectives outlines for each lesson in the curriculum, while using their own personal teaching style. Talking points should include:
· food budgeting & preventing food waste
· meal planning & healthy substitutions
· basic cooking techniques, proper knife handling & terminology
· food safety
· selecting fresh foods
As an interactive class that encourages constant involvement by the participants, Culinary Instructors provide opportunities for hands-on learning in the kitchen.
Three-hour time commitment per lesson for Culinary Instructor volunteers.